Introduction to the Haxe Standard Library
The Haxe Standard Library provides common purpose tools without trying to be an exhaustive collection of data structures and algorithms. A Haxe distribution comes with a
std directory containing the Haxe Standard Library. Its contents can be categorized like so:
General purpose: The
std directory itself contains a few top-level classes such as
String which can be used on all targets. The
haxe sub-directory provides additional data structures, input/output APIs and many more tools.
sys sub-directory contains APIs related to file systems and database. Additionally, the
Sys top-level class allows various interaction with the operating system. They can only be accessed when compiling to a target of the
sys-category (C++, C#, Java, Neko, PHP).
Target specific: Each Haxe target has a distinct sub-directory containing target-specific APIs. These can only be accessed when compiling to the given target.
General purpose API:
Available on all targets.
- Array: Typed collection which defines several ECMA-compliant operations
- Date, DateTools: Operations related to dates and timestamps
- EReg: Regular Expressions
- Lambda: Operations over iterables
- Map: Key-to-value mapping data structure
- Math: ECMA-compliant mathematical functions
- Reflect: Field-related reflection
- Std: Runtime type-checking; numerical parsing; conversion to Int and String
- String: Basic operations on String
- StringBuf: Optimized for building Strings
- StringTools: Various extensions to String
- Type: Type-related reflection
- Xml: Cross-platform XML
The haxe package:
The haxe.ds package:
The haxe.io package:
Available on C++, C#, Java, Neko and PHP.
- Sys: Execute native commands; interact with stdin, stdout and stderr; various other native operations
- sys.FileSystem: Read and modify directories; obtain information on files and directories
- sys.db: APIs for working with MySQL and SQLite databases
- sys.io.File: Read and write file content; copy files
- sys.io.Process: Use native processes
- sys.thread: API for multi-threaded applications.
Target Specific APIs:
- cpp.Lib: Provides platform-specific functions for the C++ target.
- cpp.vm: Thread API, debugger, profiler etc.
- js.Browser: Shortcuts for common browser functions.
- php.Lib: Provides platform-specific functions for the PHP target.
- php.Syntax: Helper for low-level PHP specific code generation.
- php.Session: Work with native PHP sessions
- php.Web: Work with HTTP requests and responses
- php.db.PDO: Additional PDO driver for database interactions
cs: API for C# target
- cs.Lib: Provides platform-specific functions for the C# target.
- cs.system: Externs for interacting with native C# classes.
java: API for Java target
- java.Lib Provides platform-specific functions for the Java target.
- java.* Externs for interacting with native Java classes.
- python.Lib: Provides platform-specific functions for the Python target.
- python.Syntax: Helper for low-level Python specific code generation.
- python.Syntax: Externs for interacting with native Python classes.
- neko.Lib: Low level interactions with the Neko VM target.
- neko.Web: Work with HTTP requests and responses.
- neko.net: Tools for interacting with networks and running servers.
- neko.vm: API for multi-threaded applications.
hl: Low level interactions with the HashLink target
lua: Low level interactions with the lua target